Files |  Tutorials |  Articles |  Links |  Home |  Team |  Forum |  Wiki |  Impressum

Aktuelle Zeit: Mi Apr 24, 2024 15:32

Foren-Übersicht » DGL » Feedback
Unbeantwortete Themen | Aktive Themen

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Suggestions
BeitragVerfasst: Mi Jul 21, 2004 22:54 
DGL Member

The following suggestions are in reguard to the English "side" of the site. Currently the english side is lacking, i noticed that the english forums description mentions its a "trial", but still one forum and that it...... its a bit little.

What would be nice is some english news, News is one thing apart from a forum that brings in visitors and for ppl that can't speak German there is no news. Granted Turorials/Articles can take time to convert, but at the least english Translations of the bits in the Files section could be made. Having descriptions for files in the files(indevidual descriptions for each file) section would make it MUCH eayer for ppl to know exactly what they are downloading.

Zitat:
Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for ./download/opengl_redbook.zip (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /is/htdocs/41782/www.phobeus.de/hosting/dgl/download.php on line 11

That appears on the File section. (noticed its been there for a while)

A English side to the site would b rearly good, with a language like English u arn't limiting your "user base" since most countries speak English as a second language.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 09:29 
Guitar Hero

Programmiersprache: Java (, Pascal)
Thats proberly right.
But I think it wouldn't be that hard to find a english OpenGLBoard, in comparison it's hard to find a second german OpenGLBoard like this. (You can call it imposible)
I'm no founding member but I think the language of this board is no limiting, it wanted.

The english forum is a trial, thats right.
But as long as the trafic is so little there, I think none of the mods here is willing to push it more than now.

The thing about the Filesection is maybe a idea, but also it means work. And work needs time, but time is a thing most of us don't have.

Please excuse my strange english. :wink:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 10:43 
DGL Member

Programmiersprache: C++
The biggest "problem" until now, concerning english translations of at least parts of the page, was the fact that there was just no demand for it. Your're the first (if I remember correct) to directly ask for an english translation of the page and for an expansion of the english forums. So I guess we could discuss this matter team internal again and see what we can do about it. But it's true, translating at least the file-section (and some others) to english shouldn't be that hard (and I'd do it).

And as for the forums, it's as Flash said. There is no real german OpenGL forum out there, so there are no alternatives (and that's why even some C-users are on our board). But for english-speaking ppl. there are enough alternatives out there, for example the official OpenGL-Boards. And that's also most likely the cause of our english forum not getting visited very often. So I don't know if it's a good idea to expand our english forums until there's no real demand for it.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 13:22 
Fels i.d. Brandung

I am also really happy to see that at least there is an english visitor whi isn't affraid to post here in the forum. I think over the time only Noeska really posted in the forum as an active member. so primarily we are a german forum, because there aren't many other forums in our native language. The generel feedback from our english speaking visitors are really poor, so we never know, do they have interest in the content of our site or did they simple just hit the wrong link ;) So every feedback is welcome and we will try to realize it. ;)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 14:50 
DGL Member

Phobeus hat geschrieben:
I am also really happy to see that at least there is an english visitor whi isn't affraid to post here in the forum. I think over the time only Noeska really posted in the forum as an active member. so primarily we are a german forum, because there aren't many other forums in our native language. The generel feedback from our english speaking visitors are really poor, so we never know, do they have interest in the content of our site or did they simple just hit the wrong link ;) So every feedback is welcome and we will try to realize it. ;)

Scottish Btw not English :wink: I actualy found my way here by randomly typing in the url. I think most english speakers will pass the site by currently cos there isn't any translations in the file section, etc. With only one page that has english on it.

Zitat:
The biggest "problem" until now, concerning english translations of at least parts of the page, was the fact that there was just no demand for it. Your're the first (if I remember correct) to directly ask for an english translation of the page and for an expansion of the english forums.

As sais above i think most english ppl would just pass the site by, trying to understand the tutorials is a bit hard, but you do get the gist of the tutorial and since the files in the files section don't have any description its like unwrapping presents, what is inside the box i wonder(some names are obvious tho). English ppl are unlikly to give much if any feedback unless they rearly like the one english forum, ppl in general arn't known to give much feedback add the fact that most english ppl will proberly pass the site by and u get none/hardly any.

Zitat:
The thing about the Filesection is maybe a idea, but also it means work. And work needs time, but time is a thing most of us don't have.

Did one of the DelphiGL team make the script? It use MYSQL?

If u had some english news then english speakers would b more likly to be interested in the site and come back for more updates. By providing so little to the English speakers u will get little in return.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 20:02 
Fels i.d. Brandung

yes, the scripts are made by the team of this site using php and mysql. About the missing redbook the error happens due an copyright issue we had the last weeks. So the file really isn't there, maybe time to remove it also from the list. About the file section in general, there is also a work in progress to make this section also avaible for english speakering people. Not so easy would be to translate the news section, because then we really need some guys to translate the news into english and it would be sad if then nobody is there to read it. Of course, there won't be much visitors if such things aren't avaible in english, but however I am not quite sure if it makes seens to start "fighting for visitors" with native english speaking sites like delphi3d.net or sulcao.co.za. However we are linked by them and especially keep contact between the sites... but do you really think that we shall try to focus more on english speaking people if there are already some great sites in the web?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 20:12 
DGL Member

The question is, do u want to expand this site to other nations, or do u want to keep it just a German site.

Microsoft makes some good programs, but there is also alot of better programs made by regular ppl.(in another words MS products do there job, but there is always room for improvement, Aka Current english sites do a good job, but there is always news that u lot could get first b4 other sites, etc. ).

News posts arn't long things so i don't see it taking much time to translate.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 20:14 
DGL Member

Programmiersprache: C++
As for the news-section, it wouldn't be that bad to also include them in english. I guess that would be no competition to sulaco or other delphi-sites, since that are not pages that post any news besides what's happening on their own pages. And as turbo now has closed it's "doors", there is literally no delphi-site around that posts news like we do here on dgl. So I guess that would be something to discuss and think about.

P.S. : Maybe a poll on the frontpage concerning this issue would help us on deciding on this matter.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 21:49 
DGL Member

yeh, Just searched on Google, couldn't find one Delphi Open GL site that had "community" news.

P.S If u type in +Delphi +OpenGL DelphiGl.com is in second place.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 22:16 
Guitar Hero

This isn't just a german board.

We have also Visitors from Austria, Swiss, Netherlands and also from South Africa(?) .

Ok....they all speek german or can read it but...it's international! :wink: 8)

I think SoS is right. After the End of Turbo, this litle service would be a good Idea for the rest of the world :wink:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Jul 22, 2004 22:53 
Fels i.d. Brandung

I am shocked ;) I always thought was even the first place in google ;) However the argument with the closed "turbo" site is really good. I really can imagine, that there is a lack of such kind of information and I also think we shall have a small vote at the frontside to see how many interest there really would be. The technical realisation shouldn't be to hard, I think the torture using my english would be much worther ;)
However I always really ask, why there isn't any real feedback from the "world community"... (you see this issue really caught me) ;)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Fr Jul 23, 2004 16:20 
DGL Member

Non German speakers normaly pass German sites by, unless they have enough English stuff/English Translations. Proberly because ppl can't b bothered spending alot of time working out what things are.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Fr Jul 23, 2004 20:42 
Guitar Hero

Thats what normaly germans have to do. Without Sites like this we would only find informations in english .

Its a bit funny that english speaking ppl now whant a german board to broadcast informations for them.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Sa Jul 24, 2004 00:03 
DGL Member

Imo German/French sites seem better than English speaking ones. True, most sites pick english since its a language most ppl know, but it doesn't mean u can't be a German site that has some translations for English ppl.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mi Jul 28, 2004 09:48 
DGL Member

I know from my own homepage, that it is much work to maintain a site in two (or more - what's with French, Chinese and Kishuaheli speaking people :wink: ), especially if there is so much content as on DelphiGL (just look at all the tutorials, which are one of the main attractors to entrees). The result is, that you actually think twice before putting something online - or you neglect one language, resulting in a worse impression of the site as it actually deserves.
As long as there are no volunteers, who do actually like translating pages in their free time (and they would be best native English speakers), or at least English speaking ppl providing content for DelphiGL, I don't think that maintaining an English version of the entire site would be such a hot idea - and the thought of a "crippled" English version is something I don't like either.
Personally I wouldn't mind mixing different English and German content (such as tutorials, or "officially" inviting English speakers to post in any forum) on DelphiGL though.

Foren-Übersicht » DGL » Feedback